Key West is South Florida’s best-kept secret. I like to visit often and know the place well. Key West is so beautiful and that is why I created this list. The best places to photograph Key West. If you have never been, get packing because you are going got love it. Yes, there is plenty of sun, plenty of drinks and of course lots and lots of photographs. Like anywhere else, you need to know where to go to take epic shots. I have put together a list to help you do just that.
Best places to photograph Key West Florida You Must See
Below is a list of the best places to photograph Key West Florida along with maps and best times to shoot. If I missed any, please drop me a line below and I will add it to the list. Hashtag #edinchavez when you post photos from these spots. I would love to check them out.
Key West Photography Location Guide
1. Mallory Square. This place is awesome but its best for sunset. Make sure you get here a bit early to get a good spot as this place gets packed with tourists to watch this epic sunset.
2. Higgs Beach Pier. Best time to come her is sunrise, most likely you will be the only one here while everyone else is sleeping away the festivities from the night before.
3. The Strand aka Wallgreens. The best time to shoot is at night. Beware, lots of drunkies will jump in front of your camera making obscene gestures. It all depends how late you are there.
4. Tropic Cinema. Bring your tripod and a beer, you might be here a while.
5. 801 Bourbon Bar. This place is awesome, just linger outside and wait, you will see what I mean. Best time to shoot is at night.
6. San Carlos Institute. This is a really cool Cuban museum and the people there are super nice. They will tell you endless history and allow you to photograph the entire place. Best time to come is during open hours.
7. Smathers Beach. This is a really nice beach to come play in the water or get some cool daytime long exposures. Best time to shoot is any time.
8. The Old Bridge. Ok so this is not key west but it’s on the way down (or back to Miami). This place is stunning. The best time to shoot the Old Bridge is any time. Just make sure you hydrate as it tends to get hot out there.
9. Bahia Honda. This is on your way back from Key West and it’s a state park. You can get some amazing views of the old bridge from here. Best time to shoot is sunset and or sunrise.
10. Duval Street. Walk up and down Duval Street, there are lots and lot of places light up just right. Sloppy Joe’s Bar it is super fun in case you want to stop in and get a drink. If not you can just sit outside with your tripod and snap some flicks.
11. Stop along the way. Make sure you stop at random spots along the way. There are many hidden gems that you will miss for speeding along the highway. Remember going to Key West is about the experience and the places you see before actually getting there. Safe travels!
There you have it the best places to photograph Key West Florida. Are you visiting Miami? Check out my top 10 spots to photograph Miami Beach.